The international organization of standardization (ISO) is currently developing a harmonized occupational health and safety international standard. It will help your organization provide a safe and healthy workplace for your workers and other people, prevent deaths, work-related injury and ill-health as well as continually improve OH&S performance.
Organisations that are currently certified to BS OHSAS 18001 might be required to transit to ISO 45001. The key changes in the new standard are as follows:
- Use of high-level structure (Annex SL) – To enable greater consistency of the management system
- More emphasis on Risk Management
- Requirement to Involve and secure more engagement from senior management
- Increased strategic consideration of your organization’s context.
- Reinforcement of the needs and understand compliance status at all times.
- Performance indicators to track improvement
Benefits of ISO 45001
According to the British Standards Institute (BSI) the benefits of ISO 45001 – OH&S are as follows
- Reduce work related injuries, ill health, and death
- Eliminate or minimize OH&S risks
- Improve OH&S performance and effectiveness
- Demonstrate corporate responsibility and meet supply chain requirements
- Protect brand reputation
- Motivate and engage staff through consultation and participation
How your organization can prepare for the changes in ISO 45001
- Monitor the changes
- Talk to your client manager or assessor
- Consider the integration opportunity with the existing management systems
- Make senior management aware the changes are coming.