According to the independent Foundation FSSC 22000 that manages FSSC 22000 Scheme, the FSSC 22000 Food Safety System Certification provides a framework for effectively managing your organization’s food safety responsibilities. FSSC 22000 is fully recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and is based on existing ISO Standards. It demonstrates your company has a robust Food Safety Management System in place that meets the requirements of your customers and consumers.
FSSC 22000 was developed for the certification of food safety systems of organizations in the food chain that process or manufacture animal products, perishable vegetal products, products with a long shelf life, (other) food ingredients like additives, vitamins, bio-cultures and food packaging material manufacturing.
Aims of FSSC 22000
- Providing the best food safety practices within the organization integrating ISO 22000 & ISO/TS 22002-1
- Need for International Harmonisation of food safety standards
- To enable organizations to develop, implement and measure effective food safety management practices
- Provide confidence and trust between organizations trading
- Applicable to a wide range of organizations – large, medium and small
- FSSC Globally recognized – GFSI Benchmarked
- Independent scheme and non-profit organization
In July 2017, FSSC 22000 launched version 4.1 of its international food safety and quality management system certification Scheme.The FSSC Board of Stakeholders has determined that all certified sites, shall be audited against version 4.1 starting from January 1, 2018.